Receiving inventory in Unify Desktop can be done in a few simple steps with a CSV or an Excel file. The following article describes the procedure to access, map and utilize this tool to receive physical inventory with or without an associated purchase order (PO) in QB POS.
To receive inventory in Unify Desktop
1. From the Products menu, click Receive Inventory.
An Import Inventory screen opens if you have never mapped a CSV or Excel file for this particular application.
2. In the Import Inventory screen:
a. Click Next to import a CSV or Excel file from the chosen path of your system.
b. Under Map to Column, select the appropriate matching options from the down boxes corresponding to the field names displayed under Unify Field Name.
c. Click Next.
- As you can see above, three fields are required to import inventory, including the Item Name (matching criteria for the item), Vendor Name and Total Quantity Received.
- Purchase Order Number is not required. Item receipts or vouchers can be created for receiving inventory WITHOUT an associated Purchase Order. Additionally, receiving inventory on existing Purchase Orders MUST have the Purchase Order originally created in QB POS by Unify when posting orders. Please see this article for more information on setting up Purchase Orders in Unify Desktop.
- There are several optional fields that can be mapped as well. Additionally, if the CSV or Excel file has extra columns or fields that are not used, they can simply be ignored.
- In the example below, you can see this CSV has had all of the relevant columns mapped, but still has extra columns of data left over which will be ignored during the import.
d. Preview the inventory to be imported, associated PO number, quantity, and description. Once done, click Import Items.
- In the future, when you click the Receive Inventory option, you will no longer be asked to map columns - you will simply be able to upload a spreadsheet and review before posting.
- If you ever need to map new columns because the format of the inventory import has changed, you can simply go back and remap columns appropriately from the same screen.