What is unique about a server environment:
- QuickBooks company file is on server unit
- All users are connected to server to talk to company file
- Want Unify Desktop (database on that server) so it can be accessed from multiple locations.
- If Unify Desktop is on the admin computer, the add on user must have access to the server (QuickBooks) and to the admin computer (Unify Desktop Database).
- When the Unify Desktop database is housed on the server, it acts as a hub which all users can access
- The SQL server installation depends on the version of server operating system.
- Once Unify Desktop and SQL are installed, connect it to the online store and QuickBooks company file.
- Test downloading of orders, products from the store and posting download orders to Quickbooks.
Using the automation (Unify Desktop Scheduler)
- If the server is going to have downtime or if user is not logged into the server, the Unify Desktop Scheduler cannot automate continuously.
- Install Unify Desktop on another workstation, the Unify Desktop Database (SQL server) will connect to the database installed on the server. This workstation will be the primary working environment.
- Unify Desktop Scheduler will be able to run automatically and continually, while primary workstation is connected to the server.
- Note: the Unify Desktop Scheduler can be configured to run up login as a startup item
- Add-on computer must have QuickBooks installed on it
- Must be able to access server for main Unify Desktop database
- Once you close out of the session it breaks the SQL connection and Unify Desktop
- each session has a unique ID
- Unify Desktop has to be reconfigured
- If you install on a terminal session, the SQL must be installed in the root server (console environment).
- Unify Desktop must be installed in the root server
- Login - creates a fake environment for them to work in. Upon log out, the state resets. Can't run services.
- (RDP connection) - login into computer, then log into server
- Identifying terminal sessions: The background is usually black. Unless you are tech savvy, it is seamless.
- Although this integration is untested, we do have users that are using this smoothly.
- Check with the support for more information and limitations.
- Operating system user profile follows you thorough out the virtual environment so logging in to different computer takes time, but information seems to be static.
- Admin user installs Unify Desktop on the server console
- If server desktop is not meant to be used as a workstation, then Unify Desktop must be installed on a different machine within the LAN. (Note: not a terminal session or virtual environment).
- Unify Desktop cannot be installed on an Exchange server
- Server must be configured to communicate with the internet (online)
- Installation must be done as the ADMIN user of the network
- If you are using the ACT software, it's best to install the Unify Desktop database on another computer.
For any questions contact our support team: 877.753.5373 ext 3
What's Next :