What is syncing?
Syncing is the act of making two points of data match, with Webgility Desktop this generally means making the quantity and or prices of specific SKUs the same in both your online store and your accounting system.
for example - If an item is priced at $12.99 on your store and $13.49 in QuickBooks, you would Sync the item price to match QuickBooks
Why is syncing important?
When selling the same items among multiple sales channels it gets very difficult to keep the inventory levels the same, especially when there are many thousands of individual SKUs. Sellers must always be mindful of over selling, which causes the order to become unfulfilled or delayed because there is not enough quantity.
Establishing a master inventory location
Before the syncing the user must established where the master location will be. The master location is the area is main area that updated when new stock is received or an item is created manually and the starting quantity is established - in most cases this will be the accounting system.
How syncing works
Keeping the price and/or quantity matching in both the online store store and your accounting software is one main functions of managing inventory within Webgility Desktop.
There are two ways data can be synchronized:
- Manually within the the synchronize products area
- Automatically using the Webgility Desktop Scheduler.
Note: Only products that match or have been mapped together can be be synchronized.
Within the Product menu, select the Sync.
The Out of Sync Products area will display showing the products which are currently out of Sync.
Introduction to this area
The products you see on this screen are shown because they have a different price or quantity in your accounting system than what you have currently listed in your online store. The right most column contains the labels listed below:
- Status (Out of Sync): Webgility Desktop has detected a conflict of either the price and/or quantity in the online store or your accounting software for a product.
- Status (In Orders): this status means that the particular product is current in an order that has not been posted to your accounting software, therefore the inventory hasn't been completely balanced in your accounting software. This product cannot be synced until the orders that have this item has been posted to your accounting software.
- Status (Base): this is a display product only and cannot be synced - only appears with some types of online shopping carts.
1. Select the product(s) you want to synchronize.
2. Select which direction to sync, this should be the side which is not the mater of inventory .
3. Select if you wan tot update price, quantity or both.
4. Hit Synchronize!
Note: You can sync entire pages of products in bulk by selecting the tic box in the header row in the left most column.
Using the product syncing function within the Webgility Desktop Scheduler
Introduction to this area
- Automatic syncing can be done between 15min - 24hrs. The more products you have to sync, the automatic syncing time should be also increased.
- When updating the accounting software products, either price or quantity can be synced
- When updating the Online store product, both price and/or quantity can be synced