QuickBooks company file limitations
There is a limit as to how much information can be stored within a QuickBooks company file. Here is what Intuit says about company file size limits.
- Pro/Premiere: Company file cannot exceed 150 MB (max)
- Enterprise: Company file cannot exceed 1GB (max)
What is the impact?
1. Connecting overloaded company files to Unify Desktop can result in an extended wait time for downloading data from QuickBooks.
2. Adding additional data into a company file that has already reached its limit, can result in complete and unrecoverable data loss within the company file.
What are the warning signs?
1. Reports taking up to 30 - 40 seconds to run
2. Items' list reaching 14,500 entries
3. Vendor, employees' and customers' list reaching 14,500 entries
4) QuickBooks Database fragment reaching the critical point (15 - 19) or the severe danger point (20 and above)
How to move forward?
A new company file must be created and the truncated data from the old company file must be migrated. This is a long and a tedious process that can take hours and should only be handled by QuickBooks ProAdvisors, who are trained in this process.
We have partnered with Business Solutions Providers, who can facilitate this migration as a paid service to you.
A healthy company file is critical to the success of your business within QuickBooks and with our product. - Chris Robinson