To get to settings, click the settings cog, on the top right corner of the Unify Screen.
Once there, click on Accounting Settings under Sync Sales.
The accounting settings sync area allows you to make settings for how you want your orders to go into Your accounting software. Note: These settings may be different for different accounting packages and different e-Commerce platforms. For this example, we are using QuickBooks Online. If you find your settings page confusing, feel free to book an onboarding or call instant support on 877 753 5373
Here are the various settings outlined in detail:
Note: If you find that you do not have relevant information for these settings in your accounting software, go ahead and make required items/accounts etc in your accounting software. Once done, come back to Unify and click refresh wheel on the top of your settings page to bring in the fresh data:
- Use the same settings for all channels: If you have multiples sales channels, and you want to keep the same settings for all of them, you can choose to make common settings at one go by clicking yes over here. If not, select no here, and make individualized settings for individual sales channels. Remember to click Save at the bottom of the screen for every sales channel you are setting up.
Select the type of transactions to record sales: There are 2 ways you can create transactions in Accounting systems:
- Create Single transaction types for all orders. Either Sales Receipt or Invoice (Unpaid / paid). Note: You can also create a Sales Order if you are connected to QuickBooks Desktop(Enterprise, Pro, Premier).
- Create Different transaction types for Orders based on Payment Method or the Order status from the online sales channel.
- You can also use step 1 above and have different sales channels going into different transaction types. e.g. Bigcommerce - Sales Receipt, X-Cart- Invoice
- Deposit to: This is where you want your Sales receipt money to be deposited. You can choose an deposited funds account if you want to batch post your income at the end of the day or else you can choose a checking or bank account as well.
- Sales Terms: This is only visible if you are making an invoice. Here, you can select your sales terms for your invoice.
- Payment Method: This is what is recorded as the payment method in your invoice or sales receipt. Your payment method can be As on the store, Cash, Check or Credit Card depending on your business requirements. The As on store option would record the payment method in the invoice or sales receipt exactly the way the payment method is recorded in the online store (PayPal/visa/credit card/ Auth.Net etc.). However, if you receive cheque or cash from your customers, you can choose one of the other options too.
- Who assigns transaction numbers: Use his step to select if you want to use the online order number as your Sales Receipt / Invoice number or if you want to use the next available number in your accounting system.
- Transaction date: Use this option to select what you want to set as the date of transaction in your accounting system.
- Shipping date: Use this option to set the date that you wold like to use as the shipped date for the order when it is posted to the accounting system.
- Memo: The memo is a field in the sales receipt or invoice that can contain additional information related to Customer Comments, Online Order# etc. You can also select "None," if you don't want to save anything in this field.
- Message displayed on Sales Receipt: If you use the message field on your sales receipt / invoice, you can use Unify to put in information into that field. Currently we can put the online order notes or customer comments.
- Set product description as: Use this setting to setup how you want the description of the item to appear in the description field, when you create your invoice / sales receipt.
- Reference number: Reference No. is a field in the sales receipt or invoice to reference the transaction, In which additional information like to Order# and Transaction ID can be added.
- Mark invoice as paid in QuickBooks: This is only visible if you are making an invoice. Here, you can mark your invoice as paid and select an account where you want the money to be put.
- Calculate taxable subtotal before discount: Taxable subtotal is, as the term says, the total amount that a customer has to pay before any applicable discounts are given. If you want to record the taxable subtotal before discounts in your invoice / sales receipt, you can select this option.
- Set email field as blank: Use this option if you do not want to record the email in the email field of your accounting software.
- Record store credit /gift wrap charges / gift certificate charges / other charges in QuickBooks: This is only applicable to a few sales channels. When you choose to record any of these charges, you must select an item from the dropdown list, which in turn will be used to record the relevant charge as a line item.
- Track location in QuickBooks: Select this, if you want to track the location of your orders and show the same on your invoice or sales receipt. Track location is essentially useful if you have shops and / or online stores in multiple locations and have orders coming in from a variety of locations.
- Track classes in QuickBooks: Select this, if you want to track classes for your invoice / sales receipt. This is essentially useful when you want to assign a class to an order. For example Order 121 is assigned location USA and Class as San Francisco.
- Record tip in QuickBooks as a line item: Use this option to select a line item from QuickBooks to record tips.
- Post all orders with non-taxable items to accounting: If any items in the order are listed as non taxable, Unify will post the order to your accounting system by changing the non - taxable items to taxable. This is especially important if you have certain items in the online store marked as taxable and marked as non taxable in QuickBooks.