Onboarding Package: Installation, Setup, and Training
This guide provides information on what is needed to prepare your website and QuickBooks for Unify Desktop installation and setup, and training.
This article will cover:
- Who to get involved in the installation and setup session
- How to prepare for your installation/setup services
- What to get ready in QuickBooks for installation and setup
- What the training session will cover
- Technical aspects
- Booking your services
Using a Hosted QuickBooks provider: If your QuickBooks company file is hosted with a provider such as Right Networks or NovelASPect, it is very important that you contact them to install Unify Desktop Desktop within your hosted environment before the onboarding service is scheduled.
Note: Installation & setup is the first step to onboarding and should be scheduled before a training session.
1. Install/setup: Who to involve
- Unify Desktop user/department: This is the person or department who will be using Unify Desktop day to day. They need to be involved in the installation and setup process.
- QuickBooks user/accountant: The setup of the store profile in Unify Desktop will utilize areas of QuickBooks. It will be helpful for whoever is handling QuickBooks to attend the setup session to make sure QB aspects are being setup correctly.
- Web developer (optional): If you don't know your FTP information or in the process of installing the Webgility Store module we may run into an issue that your developer must fix/troubleshoot. They don't have to attend the session, but they need to be reachable so any issues can be solved within the session.
2. Install/Setup: How to prepare
Here is some info to look over about what to have ready for this 2 hour meeting.
- Please make sure that your QuickBooks company file is in place, and you have at least one customer (can be a test customer) and one product (can be a test product) in both your QB company file and your online store to connect to the Unify Desktop.
- Please also have all of your account and login info ready for the meeting: Unify Desktop credentials, store login credentials, and any shipping accounts that you may use.
3. Install/Setup: What to get ready in QuickBooks
- Admin login information for QuickBooks
- In state/Out of state tax items (Tax)
- Enable taxes and inventory items (Preferences)
- COGS (Items)
- Bank (Deposit to for transactions)
- Clearing account (Bank) and Amazon/eBay as vendors (expenses and fees)
- Customer types for Retail or Wholesale (if needed)
- Standard Customer (if needed)
- Discount item (Discount)
- Shipping charge item (Other charge)
- Store Credit (Other charge)
- Review you store configuration
- Shipping module training: generating shipping labels, posting to store
- product module training: download products, transferring products and mapping products
- Unify Desktop/Shiplark Scheduler training: learn how to automate features to save you time.
- General best practices for using the product with shipping and/or with QuickBooks.
5. Technical aspects
Installation Location: It is important to know where Unify Desktop is going to be installed. Either on a workstation or a on a workstation connected to a server that houses the QB company file. Click here if you are using a server.
If you are using Unify Desktop with QB POS, there are a few other technical considerations to consider. Click here to learn more.
If you are installing Unify Desktop on a server, the SQL server installation (which is installed during the Unify Desktop installation) can be intricate. It is very important that the CS Squad knows that Unify Desktop is to be installed on a server machine.
Remote Desktops: The Customer Success Squad will be remoting in to your system. If you are remoting into a system, the Unify Desktop installation can run into issues with installing the software and SQL server if the remote user doesn't have admin access. Being in the physical location or making sure the remote login has admin credentials if great prep work for the installation session.
- If you access your QB company file on a server location within your network (LAN) this is okay for Unify Desktop.
- If you connect to your company file on a server location outside of your network (VPN), Unify Desktop will have a difficult time maintaining connect to the company file.
- It is generally not recommended to connect Unify Desktop to a company file that is accessible via VPN.
FTP information: Unify Desktop connects to some shopping carts by installing the Webgility Store Module into the shopping cart admin. FTP information is:
- The location that the website is hosted (Host/URL)
- Username & Password to access the backend files of the website
Check with your Web Developer or Hosting company to get this information prior to the start of your Installation service.
QuickBooks Access: Your company file needs to be in single user mode if you have a multi-user company file. You need to have your Admin credentials and the ability kick any multi-users off QuickBooks for about 2 -10min.
Add-on Users: If you intend on having an add-on user of Unify Desktop, that workstation will need to connect to the Unify Desktop admin user's computer (LAN) and have a version of QuickBooks on that computer.
6. Booking your services
Sessions are booked between Monday - Friday between 5am - 3pm PT. If you need to make special time arrangements, or if you are an international user, please email or call our Account Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-753-5373 ext. 2.