Inventory Management Overview
The online store is a database that holds product data and information. QuickBooks/POS is also a database that holds product information. Each database is different and has its own limitations as to what can be created in it outside of its native interface.
eCC Desktop sits in the middle and must be the bridge between two totally different database systems and has to get them to communicate with each other.
Managing inventory between the online store and QuickBooks/POS using eCC Desktop is one of the main features of the software. Products can be transferred (created), mapped, matched and price and quantity can be synchronized between QuickBooks and multiple online stores.
eCC Desktop accomplishes this by linking online store data fields with QuickBooks data fields. In order to do this the information in these data fields must match.
The purpose of using eCC Desktop to transfer products from QuickBooks/POS as variants is because the user wants to control inventory for each product on the website and within Quickbooks.
The online stores themselves have various types of product types and each one of those product types also interact with eCC Desktop and QuickBooks very uniquely.
Webinar #1: Managing Inventory in eCC Desktop
Learn the basics of eCommerce inventory, item behaviors and best practices for eCommerce inventory management.
Webinar#2: Multi-Channel Inventory Management
Builds from Webinar #1 and discusses the intracies of eCommerce management within multi-channel integrations with QuickBooks (Pro,Premier) and QuickBooks POS.
Advanced webinar that looks into item variation/option creation in shopping carts and how to identify if your shopping cart turns variations/options into simple products.
Online Store Product Nomenclature
QuickBooks also has various type of items that are unique to QuickBooks/POS. Items in QuickBooks are designated by the alphanumeric field which houses the item name/number. These are the item types that eCC Desktop can create in QuickBooks. Any other type of QuickBooks item type (group or assembly) must be created in QuickBooks manually.
QuickBooks item nomenclature
- Inventory: items that hold quantity in QuickBooks
- Non-inventory: items that hold no quantity, therefore no inventory asset account
- Discount: specific item used for discounts
- Other charge: shipping line item
To get a better understanding of how eCC Desktop interacts with all the various online shopping carts and QuickBooks, click here to view our feature list.
This video reviews each function within the product module in eCC and QuickBooks integration. Learn how to view products, transfer products and how to map products.
- My Products: Products in QuickBooks or QuickBooks POS and the online store can be viewed in the My Products area.
- Matching Products: In order for eCC Desktop to match a match between how products are expressed in QuickBooks and the online store, matching criteria must be established within the store configuration. This information populates the Matching Product tab.
- Mapped Products: Products that fall outside of the product matching criteria, but the user intends for the products to match, can be mapped together.
Transferring (Creating) Products
- QuickBooks items can be transferred to the online store as simple products within the online store.
- When integrating with most stores, only simple items in QuickBooks POS can be transferred as simple products into the online store.
- Products that are in the online store but are not in QuickBooks can be either created in QuickBooks during the post to QuickBooks process.
- Before the syncing process can begin, the user must established where the master location will be. The master location is the area is main area that updated when new stock is received or an item is created manually and the starting quantity is established.
- Synchronizing can be done either manually in the product sync area or automatically using the eCC Desktop scheduler.
- The more products you have in your catalog, automatic product sync time should be increased.
- The more online stores you have that are all sharing the same quantity, syncing can become more complex.
- Product matching criteria establishes if a product that is contained in the online store is missing from QuickBooks.
- Products missing from QuickBooks can be mapped with existing products in QuickBooks, during the post to QuickBooks process.
- Products missing from QuickBooks can also be manually mapped in the Map Products area of the product module.